Personal Coverage: Homeowners


A home is the single biggest investment that most individuals will ever make; it is typically the largest asset on the family “balance sheet.” Also, the contents of a typical home, such as furniture, appliances, clothing, family heirlooms, and other movable personal belongings, represent a substantial additional investment.


Further, everyone faces the risk of personal liability. For example, a visitor to the home could slip and fall. Such accidents can result in court decisions awarding large sums to the injured party.


Homeowner’s insurance: This provision pays medical or funeral expenses because of bodily injury and covers damage to the home or physical dwelling.




  • The home, the physical dwelling, and other structures attached to it
  • Other structures: For example, a detached garage or tool shed
  • Personal property: The contents of the home, such as furniture, appliances, or clothing. Certain types of property may have specific dollar amount.
  • Loss of use: If the home is damaged by covered peril, “loss of use” helps meet the cost of hotel bill, eating out, and other living expenses while the home is being repaired.
  • Personal liability: Liability coverage under a homeowner’s policy is provided in one of three sections:
    • Personal liability: payments that insured are legally obligated to make because of bodily injury or property damage.
    • Medical payments to others: medical expenses of injured third parties
    • Additional coverage: covers certain expenses incurred by the insured in the event of bodily injury or property damage


Policy exclusions

The standard homeowner’s policies specifically exclude a number of perils from coverage. Policy coverage of these excluded perils can generally be added through an “endorsement” and payment of an additional premium.

  • Ordinance or law: Many homeowners’ policies do not cover losses due to a law or ordinance of the community in which the home is located.
  • Earth movements: Excludes loss caused by events such as earthquakes, volcanic eruption, or landslide.
  • Water damage: Refers to damage from flood, water that backs up from sewers or drains, or water seeping through walls.


Contact us today. We’ll work with you to find a homeowner’s policy that fits within your budget and meets your needs.